[Shorewall-newbies] Traffic Shaping and SNAT

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri Jan 9 18:39:49 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Gerhard Olsson wrote:

> I use Shorewall on Gibraltar (Debian based) for a small home network. I
> use traffic shaping/QoS to downpriotize certain types of traffic (Wonder
> Shaper, htb version as described in the documentation).  I also would like
> to set even lower prio on certain computers. The Traffic Shaping/Control
> document lists that if SNAT is used, will NOPRIOHOSTSRC not have any
> effect, since the SNAT is done before the traffic shaping.
>
> Any workarounds to get prio based on IP? (Will a second internal ethernet
> interface do the trick?)
>
> Is NOPRIOHOSTDEST having effect? (I did not see that here in a quick test
> here.)

These questions have little to do with Shorewall but rather are about The
WonderShaper.

It is possible to do source-based traffic shaping by marking the packets
using the Shorewall tcrules file and using the fwmark classifier in
tcstart file but The WonderShaper doesn't have that capability. The
example on the Shorewall Traffic Shaping page that shows my old traffic
shaping setup uses that approach but marks based on criteria other than
source IP address.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net