[Shorewall-newbies] eDonkey (was shorewall and bridge...)

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Thu Feb 26 15:52:22 PST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 02:15 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:06:59 -0800, Tom Eastep <teastep at shorewall.net>
>
> wrote:
> > When I tested Overnet on 192.168.1.5, I used these rules -- don't recall
> > if I
> > had to configure the UDP port number in Overnet or not.
> >
> > DNAT   net  loc:192.168.1.5         tcp     4662
> > DNAT   net  loc:192.168.1.5         udp     12112
>
> Great tip, you hit the point - thanks!! I did not realize that I had to
> use DNAT instead of ACCEPT - I will have to read the docs again to really
> understand why it works now.

The question of "When do I use ACCEPT and when do I use DNAT?" is a Shorewall
FAQ.

eDonkey works now because the only connections that you are currently making
are outbound. If you go to the Overnet site and search for firewalling
information, there is quite a good page that describes the effect of
firewalling on eDonkey.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net