[Shorewall-newbies] What is the best Linux to create a firewall ?

Richard Atcheson ratcheson at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 06:00:38 PST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:54 am, Florent Gilain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My question is not to know which distribution is better, just to know how I
> must do to create my own firewall using iptables and shorewall and minimal
> services like SSH...
>
> Red Hat ? Mandrake ? Suse ?
>
> Which package do i need to install to be able to install everything i need
> ?
>
> Sorry, i'm really new to Linux...
Hi Florent;

I'm partial to SuSEPro and Shorewall.  I tried the others a couple of years
ago and settled on SuSe as the easiest and best of the bunch.  To really get
started with Shorewall go to the website and read the QuickStart Guides and
the Shorewall Setup Guide at www.shorewall.net/shorewall_setup_guide.htm.

There are French versions of various Shorewall documents.  For example at
http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_setup_guide_fr.htm is one of the setup
guides.  That should get you started.  If you read the Guides you should have
minimal problems and can be up and running in about 20 minutes depending on
how fast you read.

If you have problems, look at the Support section on the Home page. It will
tell you what you need to do to get any assistance you may need.
Good luck,
Richard