[Shorewall-newbies] One range and 2 network adapters

mollo mollo at club-internet.fr
Fri Feb 13 11:40:49 PST 2004

Hello List,

This is surely not a Shorewall issue, but permit I post my problem.

Assume my ISP gave me 32 Ips : 195.1.1.96/27.

I've _not_ other IP's, like a DSL router in another network!

Address:   195.1.1.96
Netmask:   255.255.255.224 = 27
Wildcard:  0.0.0.31
=>
Network:   195.1.1.96/27          (Class C)
Broadcast: 195.1.1.127
HostMin:   195.1.1.97
HostMax:   195.1.1.126
Hosts/Net: 30

I would setup a 3 card Firewall :

eth0: 192.1.1.98   (net)

eth1: 192.1.1.99   (dmz)

eth2: 192.168.x.x  (loc)

What's the way to have a correct routing between eth0 and eth1 without splitting in subranges ? If there is a solution.

If I define my card  like follow :

eth0: 192.1.1.98/27 gateway .97
eth1: 192.1.1.99/27 gateway .98

This is not correct because the two cards are setup to cover the whole range and so they don't correctly route between them.

Thanks a Lot
Mathieu