[Shorewall-newbies] Using MAC Addresses

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Wed Feb 11 12:17:34 PST 2004

Again congratulations for Shorewall, each time I install it I am thankfull
for this great tool and especialy the documentation!

My question: Using MAC addresses in rules does not work, if there is at
least one router (OSI layer 3) in between the firewall and the host
filterd by MAC - am I right? So using this type of filter in a WAN /
internet does not make sense?

What about a Bridge (nowadays called "Switch", working on OSI-Layer2) as
far as I know they do not repackage a frame?

Bye, Ingo.