[Shorewall-newbies] DNAT problems

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Thu Feb 5 15:21:51 PST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 03:05 pm, Tom Eastep wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2004 02:59 pm, Tim Meadows wrote:
> > Tom Eastep <teastep at shorewall.net> writes:
> > >Odd then that the RealVNC FAQ includes this
> > >(http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#port):
> > >
> > >"Can I make the VNC server listen on a different port number rather than
> > >5900?"
> > >
> > >Sounds like you've succeeded...
> >
> > I only succeeded from INTERNAL.  I cannot get it to connect from the
> > outside
>
> I meant that you succeeded in making the server listen on a different port
> number, apparently without even trying.

The RealVNC FAQ also mentions VNC Viewer (Java) which is accessed at 5800+n
where n is the display number. Is that what you are using (the viewer, not
the port number)?

What happens (as seen from the laptop) when you try to connect? My experience
with VNC suggests that VNC over dialup would likely be a very painful
experience if you could get it to work at all...

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net