[Shorewall-newbies] Linux Shorewall and VNC to PC

Tim Meadows tmeadows at techteam.org
Thu Feb 5 15:27:03 PST 2004

I am am newbie here and couldn't find the answer in the FAQ.  I have
clients that will need to use their PC's using RealVNC Server to connect
to my PC's RealVNC Viewer in Listening mode.  At my end I have a Linux
server.  It is setup as Web Server, FTP server, etc.  My T1 router IP is
pointed directly to this Linux box.

I can get RealVNC working while inside my local network as well as when I
dial up to a RASFinder within my local network.  I cannot get it to work
when coming in from outside (via AOL dialup for now just to test it).  I
use my PC that is inside the local network as the VNC View in listening
mode and the laptop with AOL as the VNC server trying to attach a client.

I have the following line in the shorewall 'rules' file in linux and
stopped and restarted shorewall:
DNAT  net  loc:10.10.10.193  tcp  5500

Most of our clients won't be using dialup but taht is my only way to test
it here currently.     I realize this must be most basic but help is
appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim