[Shorewall-newbies] ADSL + NAT + dropped Connections

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Mon Dec 15 16:33:53 PST 2003

Hi,

Shorewall version 1.4.7
iptables 1.2.7a
RH9 + Kernel 2.4.23

Problem Statement :
Using adsl-start to commit connection to I-net.
ppp0<->eth0 (labeled as dsl)
eth1<->nat(to hub)

NAT works fine and great when all is well.. Occasionally, shorewall(?) will
stop routing the nat connections.. I'm not sure why, but it will come up
again when I do a -> sudo shorewall restart.

Can I buy a clue here???

BTW, the adsl line's not too great, gets dropped quite often. But, when it's
dropped, it will re-connect and the fw+nat (my laptop) can connect with no
problems, the pcs on nat will have occasional hiccups until I restart
shorewall.

ip is dynamic. Does it matter?

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate