[Shorewall-newbies] Micro Shorewall Howto

Richard Atcheson ratcheson at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 12:46:38 PST 2003

It appears that some newbies are not doing to well in the RTFM department so I
thought I would make a suggestion on how to get right to the heart of things.

While Tom's Guides are outstanding there is a large amount of information that
may overwhelm the newbie.  So I thought maybe a short roadmap may be in order
so here it is.

1.  Begin by reading Sections 1, 2, and 3 of the Shorewall Setup Guide
( http://shorewall.net/shorewall_setup_guide.htm#Introduction ) then
2.  Decide what kind of setup you are going to have. i.e, 1 Interface, 2
Interface and so on.
3.   Draw out or if you like, diagram your setup using as a guide Tom's
drawings in the Setup Guide. Put in your IP numbers, draw arrows so you will
know how things flow from point to point. Make a picture that you understand.
4.  Once that is done, simply apply the QuickStart Guide for that particular
interface step by step. It should be an easy matter.

If you can't get it to work then read the very simple directions on the
Getting Help or Answers page of the Shorewall Setup Guide BEFORE calling for
help.

If you follow these simple steps you will either be able to do the setup for
yourself, successfully,  or you will have enough information that you can get
some help quickly here.

Hope this will make life a little easier for all of us.
Richard